Tuesday 24 July 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup for the soul

So this is my first post.. tonight I am not exactly feeling great its very cold and I feel under the weather.
Being a foodie at heart and a girl I realise that I am typically an emotional eater, I will eat based on how I am feeling, which again right now is crap and cold. This leaves me with one thing in mind a good homely winter meal, its just a matter of what kind...


I am currently doing look better naked (I am in my third week) through Les-mills and am also following an eating plan from a nutritionist, this means I have to stick to certain criteria when cooking, like no oil and go as far as to weigh out my protein weather it is chicken, or fish, or lean beef.  


On a side note, yes I am watching what I eat at the moment, because I have spent the past year or so eating Mc Donalds and buttery sugary food and drinks, just indulging in what ever tempted me. Apparently I can't do that now I am no longer a child, and yes I would love to know how Nigella Lawson does it too.


Since I studied Culinary arts and constantly watch my flat mates eat delicious looking food I can't just make plain boring food or I know my eyes as well as my stomach will feel unsatisfied, I am relying on inspiration from other people, recipes I already know (just making adjustments), and  my good old emotions.


So tonight I have decided I will stick to Mums traditionally recipe for making me feel better as a kid, and a great winter meal, chicken soup. I am going to make it healthy and modern however..


Ingredients:  Recipe for 4 portions (1 serving for me, 2 for my boyfriend (blokes need more energy) and 1 portion as left overs yum!)


Chicken: (100g per portion is considered healthy ) 400g skinless chicken breast cubed into chunks 
Vegetables
Onion                                     1- 2 medium onion
Celery                                     2-3 stems leaves included
Carrots                                    1 large or 2 medium (Peeled)
Mixed Veges                            1 cup (can be frozen kind, mushrooms, leek etc)
Liquid Chicken stock:               2 cups (Dilute with water enough to cover all vegetables and                                        chicken and noodles)
Low Calorie noodles:                I used Hakubaku Organic Ramen 1 1/2 portions or 140g
Herbs:                                      add almost any herbs, thyme is great and fresh is best or add a little coriander to make your soup more asian inspired. 


Method: Cut vegetables into MIREPOIX (rough bite size cuts), or you could have fun and cut shapes.


In a pot sauté the onions, and chicken (you do not want to colour the onions or chicken), then add the stock, water, vegetables with hardest first and any soft ones can be left out at first and the noodles. Wait for the stock to come to the boil and then lower the heat down to just simmer (slow bubbling). Check and adjust seasoning, adding salt as required.


The soup will take a different amount of time to cook based on the portion size but the chicken should be cooked and so should the noodles.  When cooked check the seasoning again and serve, have with yum rolls or bread if you want. 


Bon appetite. 








No comments:

Post a Comment