Sunday 29 July 2012

Breaking the fast of the night

29/07/2012
So I am still bit unwell, but as it was the weekend I fancied doing something and being productive after a boring week inside. On the plus side I also have five days of at the moment, as a friend was suppose to be coming to stay but due to unfortunate circumstances she couldn't come. With all my time of I have eaten out a bit this weekend:


Saturday night my flat mates and I went to Southern Cross bar for a few wines and some fries, the atmospheres amazing and the garden bar is always packed. Then Danielle and I went home and meet the guys to go out for some yum dessert at Espressoholics we had so much cake, I had Carrot cake with yoghurt, Danielle had chocolate brownie, Luke had chocolate Silk cake (Not the greatest to be honest) and Michael had berry cheese cake. In my experience Espressoholics on Cuba Street always make the most amazing food, has good portion size, and a great variety especially if your gluten free. They don't have the best service but the food out weighs that and they don't overly pester you which is quiet refreshing. I personally recommend sharing your food with others, you eat less, get to try more, and you get better satisfaction knowing what you picked was nicer haha.


Then on Sunday we decided to carry on with the couple theme and went out for breakfast (Michaels favourite meal of the day) at Enigma, and in one word it was amazing!! So much food the only downside is our poached eggs were a bit overcooked which I hate, but it is still easily one of my favourite places for brunch. After all the food we did (and needed to) a 16km walk to Pencarrow Lighthouse, now  I am feeling pretty tired and I am going to dig into my left overs from last night which was an interesting change I made Lamb and Lychee Red Thai Curry with long grain rice. There is something about Thai food I crave, and the sweet contrast gets my mouth watering every time. I followed no recipe and just based it of something I once had out in a Hamilton Restaurant after a Karate Grading.


Ingredients: (Serves 2 people)
1x can Lychee in syrup (Drain and keep a little syrup for flavour)
1x small can coconut milk
1/2 cup Chicken stock
2-3 Bok Choy (Dispose of outer leaves, cut inside leaves in half all of it is edible)
1 cup sliced beans
1/2 red onion (Cut into thin slices)
1/2 white onion (Cut into thin slices)
2 cloves garlic (Crushed)
1 tsp garlic basil paste
1-2 tsp red curry paste
4 button mushrooms (Cut into slices)
spring onion (for garnish)
200g lamb leg steaks trimmed (Cut into slices or chunks)


I heated the onions and garlic in a sauté pan, then added the curry paste and garlic paste and the lamb, cooking until the lamb began to colour on the outside only. I then added the mushrooms and beans to begin to cook. Transfer to a pot add lychee, coconut milk, chicken stock, and Bok Choy. Bring to the boil, check and adjust seasoning (add more curry paste for more spice, or more lychee syrup for sweeter) and then reduce to a simmer. Serve with a portion of rice and garnish with spring onion.


Variations: Chicken instead of Lamb, or Duck
Mixed veges like carrots instead of Beans
Pineapple instead of Lychee
vegetarian, using just vegetables and vegetarian stock
Leeks instead of Bok Choy






Asian dishes always taste great as left overs it is like the flavours infuse more over night, you could also freeze this for a later date. Try checking out Asian supermarkets for fresh herbs, bok choy, and spices I bought mine from one and they are really good priced!


bon appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment