Friday 10 August 2012

avant-garde

10/08/2012
Its nearly the end of another week, I've had some bad news so I have chosen to spend my night off chilling at home. I had absolutely nothing planned for dinner. Instead of being organised I tend to spend all day thinking about what to cook for dinner? In my case today I was actually dreaming about it while having a nap hahah. So after my foodie dream I popped down to the Asian supermarket got some random things and also bought some chicken breast! lets see if what I can make is better then what I had dreamt hahah.

So far the ideas are :
Dinner I am thinking I will make Chicken/Tofu or Chicken/Chickpea meatballs with a chunky tomato or  chilli/coriander sauce, low calorie noodles and I will chuck in some veges. Desserts a different story I am going to make a mixed nut banana bread loaf using protein powder which I would eat with low fat yoghurt.  That way its healthy and I am using food I already had. I have just finished cooking and eating dinner! I don't usually think alot of my own food but i found this so so yum:

Healthy/ Asian take on Spaghetti Bolognese
In a bowl
Spaghetti:
1 portion of Hakubaku Organic Soba (90g) - Available from New World

Sauce:
3 small tomatoes cut into small chunks
1/8 red onion tiny cubes
leek leaves cut into thin slices
3 tsp white wine/vinegar
2 Tablespoons water
Salt and Pepper

Veges:
3 Bok Choy - remove outside leaves cut inside leaves into half in length
10-20 Green beans

Meatballs:
4 Tenderloins chicken, or 1 chicken breast
1/4 packet soft tofu (fridge in supermarket or shelf)
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup ground yellow corn flour/meal (not your usual corn flour)
few coriander leaves

Garnish:
sesame seeds
salsa-verde which is fresh herbs blended with oil, I used basil, spring onion, coriander and mint with olive oil.

Method:
In a kitchen wiz put all the meatball ingredients and blend until soft and sticky almost. Roll into small balls and put on a lined tray cook at 200 degrees for 20min or until brown and cooked through. No need to use oil or anything. Note the Tofu doesnt taste but makes the chicken stay moist.

While cooking pasta to al dente, blanch veges in hot water for 3-5minutes and then cool in ice water this helps them retain the green colour. Also put the sauce ingredients in a small pot cook until tomatoes are soft and runny. Check all seasoning then you can eat! I loved it.




on a plate 


ON too dessert which was a mission baking because my flat mates were cooking there dinner, which smells divine.

Banana mixed loaf/cake
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups wholemeal  flour
2 egg whites whisked
1/2 cup of  plain yoghurt
2 yellow/brown bananas mashed 
3 scoops vanilla protein powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon & 1/2 nutmeg
1/4 cup trim milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup crushed/sliced walnuts, almonds
1/4 cup sultanas or raisins
1/2 cup sweetener 

Method:
Sift dry ingredients, and mix in with the wet then put the mixture into a cake tin/ loaf tin or muffin cases. Bake at 250 degrees for 35-40 Min for a cake or 20-25 for muffins. Check its cooked through then when its cold slice and serve. 


I served mine to my flattie with a sea salt sugar and almond praline, organic pecan ice cream and fresh banana. Sweeet overload.  

No comments:

Post a Comment